Growth, Tradition and InnovationFounded in scholastic year 1905/1906 by Miss Ethel Yabsley and Miss Madeleine Sceberras, Chiswick House School originally catered for the children of British families stationed in Malta. In time, the school established itself as 'a distinguished educational institution' at Windsor Terrace, Sliema.
- A School with a History
Under successive heads the school operated throughout both world wars, and in spite of its small population, created a name for itself as a 'veritable international school'.
Mrs Yvonne Mangion, a cultured and visionary educator, acquired the school in 1962, and guided it to a new chapter in its varied history. The school is still owned and run by the Mangion Family, and Ms Marguerite Mangion, Mr Stephen Mangion, and Ms Bernie Mizzi, were pivotal in the expansion which took place in the 1980s and 1990s.
In 1991, under the dynamic joint headship of Ms Bernie Mizzi and Ms Marguerite Mangion, the school moved to award winning premises in Kappara. Today Chiswick House School offers a full educational programme to Early Years and Junior School pupils aged from two years and one month to ten years old, in a warm, safe environment.
Further expansion took place in 1993 when, at the request of parents, the school re-introduced its Middle and Senior School classes. St Martin's College was purpose-built in Swatar to meet the requirements and specifications of a leading modern college. The latest development in its long history of expansion and innovation has been the establishment of a successful Sixth Form, thus ensuring a full programme of education up to 18 years of age.
After the untimely demise of Ms Marguerite Mangion in 2000, Ms Bernie Mizzi led Chiswick House School and St Martin's College as a far-sighted and charismatic Principal until April 2009. Ms Bernie, now as Director, relies on a strong Senior Leadership Team of dedicated professionals including internationally trained Heads, and a cadre of trained and qualified teachers, administrators and support staff.
Today, Chiswick House School and St Martin's College are firmly established in Malta's educational system as the largest independent educational establishment on the island, offering a top quality, mixed ability education to boys and girls not only from Malta, but also from over 30 other countries, with English as the main language of instruction.